Are you in an area of Toronto that you find to be a risk for flooding? Maybe you’ve had problems with your basement in the past and are fed up with the costs that you’re receiving in order to replace items or materials in your basement or foundation. In this article, we’ll discuss the general benefits of Toronto basement waterproofing companies for those that are almost ready to take the plunge financially.
The Dangers of Water Meeting Concrete
Up front, we’ll let you know this important piece of information: water is capable of breaking down concrete, and it’s inevitable if not taken care of. Water encourages weakness in the concrete, and sometimes, it can destroy said concrete rather quickly. Walls that tend to be load-bearing are more susceptible to danger if water begins breaking them down. Once the concrete is weakened, your entire house could crumble.
The Advantages of Waterproofing Your Foundation
Let’s get to the meat of this article: the benefits of waterproofing your foundation. If the above mentioned wasn’t enough for you to call your local contractor, hopefully these benefits will encourage you to.
- The prevention of mold and mildew from spreading to your floors and your walls: it’s worth noting that the longer mold builds up, the more susceptible it is to become dangerous toxic black mold. When this is running amuck in your home, you run the risk of respiratory issues. Those that are younger or those that are elderly will most definitely acquire a sickness when this isn’t removed.
- A definite reduction in maintenance costs and the potential clean-up: Those that are in flood-prone areas know the costs of a rain storm coming their way. Every time, there’s something little you have to spend money on to fix, and when you waterproof your foundation, you won’t have to worry about that anymore. The only costs you’ll be spending is on slight maintenance every so often; like check-ups at the doctors. Waterproofing your foundation ensures that your area will be clean after a flood, and there’s minimal you have to worry about; if anything at all.
- Ready to sell? Waterproofing increases value: Those that are searching for a home in the dream area will want something that comes with all of the perks – even if it comes at a little higher price. When you waterproof your foundation, you immediately increase the value; especially in flood-prone neighborhoods.
Steps to Take Before Waterproofing Your Foundation
Before you take the plunge and contact a contract, you’ll want to do the following before waterproofing:
Make sure the area in question is dry and pretty clean. You’ll want to take a type of scraper and remove any type of paint that’s peeling, floor coverings, etc. Then you’ll want to get as much dirt off as possible. Sometimes, a warm water and soapy composition will allow you to get most of the dirt off from the walls. It’s worth noting that a professional can do this for you before starting the waterproofing process.
If you don’t want to do this next step, you can call someone to help, but you’ll be able to do this yourself for those DIY lovers: patch the holes in the area using a type of expanding concrete mixture. You’ll want to let this sit for 24 hours before doing anything.
The Final Verdict
At the end of the day, if most of your walls or structures in your home are load-bearing, and you find that you’re in a more flood prone area, you shouldn’t wait a minute more to receive Toronto foundation waterproofing. If you don’t, you run the risk of compromising your home’s structural integrity. Make sure to look for the warning signs of damage on concrete surfaces, as this most definitely signifies an underlying issue that could compromise the strength of your structure.
Strategy board games remind me of analog games going all the way back to the ancient Mesopotamia or the classical Greece. Whether a soldier or a member of the royal court, board games were there to help men spend their evenings since the start of civilization. I’m always angry at how video games on our televisions have come to dominate our evening sessions. One of my cousin likes to pull a chess board though and urges me to play before supper is ready.
“Your chess board accumulates dust while you are away. Playing it is an advisable move to keeping your mind active and healthy.” He says as he tries to pull two chairs – getting ready for the game. To add on the compliment, I purchased the Terra Mystica as a substitute when chess became obvious and annoying. That’s when I realized that strategy board games offer more than just entertainment. The impact on you, your family and friends is quite significant but often ignored. If this just hit the breaking news headline, follow to catch on 4 reasons why playing strategy board games is more of a benefit than time wastage.
Having fun with a good sense of flow
I don’t know how you will view this, but one of the side effects of playing board games is laughing. Ever heard of endorphins? They are the chemicals ignited when you are happy. Sharing a light moment while on the board makes us get into each other’s feelings and there is more trust gained in the process.
Strategy keeps us on toes though a game like chess can be somehow grounding since it’s entirely based on skill. There is no real life chaos here, and the game rules are set and well known. Everything always seems in control except what my opponents are planning. Losing myself in the game gives me a welcome feeling reprieving me from day to day stress.
In addition to a calming and grounding effect of the game, there is the facilitation of a ‘good flow’ – the level of your skills going hand in hand with the progressing activity.
It is important for the kids and family
Everyone is at home, but no one is settled. I also experience the frenzy whenever every member of the house is representing. It is always a daunting task to get everyone in order since everyone is up to something. However, playing strategy board games with my siblings makes it a perfect time to stay together and build some learning skills in the process. After dinner, playing the analog way get everyone closer which serves as a way of strengthening a family bond.
The best part comes in when the board sharpens my kids’ brains. Even simple games that are chance-based with no skill to count on can teach children some significant aspects. They may include patterns, sequencing and color identification. Young ones also have a chance to know the importance of following directions and socializing. According to findings of a recent study, learners who played checkers had a larger ability to solve problems, resolve conflicts and also be able to communicate.
Yes! Good strategy board games can doctor a player to a position where some of the body complications will only go away. The health advantages include:
- Mental diseases reduction: It is a primary benefit which reduces the cognitive decline threat. No one wants something that is associated with Alzheimer or dementia. Keeping your mind on the board radar means more mind exercise hence the chance to build it stronger.
- Lowering blood pressure: There is laughter on the game meaning more endorphins. It helps lower blood pressure or maintains it at the appropriate level. Your muscles relax implying that your blood has more freedom to circulate. High blood pressure has its hazards which may involve heart-related complications and stroke.
- No more stress: The board game distraction provides sufficient time to sit down and relax. Most of the players will play games as a way to kick back and relieve the stress.
- Boosting your immune: Stress, depression, and feeling worked out can trigger loss of body’s ability to fight diseases. Positivity and laughter that comes with strategy board games reduce such effects by making the body to produce chemicals that will chase the stress away. In simple terms, playing board games is a way to activate ‘survival genes’ in your brain.
Building yourself for real life tackles
- Gaining your memory and cognitive skills: Kids benefit a lot from playing board games since they have a chance to practice vital cognitive skills such as problem-solving for example. The hippocampus and prefrontal cortex are some of the brain areas that benefit since they function when complex thinking is involved and also memorizing. It is a good way to build cognitive associations as age advances.
- Speeding up responses: Getting myself to play Terra Mystica solved some of the things that were hard to contemplate at first. It is true that having a board game every week makes you have better chances of finding a lost file without having to turn everything upside down.
So, what are you waiting for? Strategy board games are offering more benefits than destruction. I think we all now have a reason to play Terra Mystica every Saturday evening.